Thursday, September 23, 2010

Since I haven't officially asked...

I won't reveal yet the names of my actual bridesmaids. But I thought that since I wrote a little tidbid about the husband to be, that I would reflect back on the amazing women that will become the official witnesses of my marriage.

In no particular order....

Bridesmaid 1. For almost two whole years, she enjoyed being the center of the universe for two happy young couple. That is, until little ole me popped out of my mother's stomach crying....and crying...and crying for what must have been forever (from what my mom tells me). During her kindergarten or first grade graduation, I cried because I wanted to be up there with her as she received her diploma. In 1990, she finally ran far away enough for me to follow. In 1994, I was back in her face again determined never to leave her side. I followed all of her interest...the Flyers, the Braves, and Ace of Base. She may not know it but I always wanted to follow. I always strive to be like her.

Bridesmaid 2. If there was one person in this world who knew exactly how to piss me off, it's her. She's Dart Vader and I'm Yoda...which proves that even the most optimistic and patient of a person can have a short and angry side. But just like Dart Vader, she has within her a good side. Ok, that was one too many Star Wars analogy. lol. Anyway! Despite the occasional tension between us which we so often keep bottled up inside, magically...and out of nowhere...things go back to the way they've always been. Two people that genuinely care and love each other...and no matter what, I know she'll always have my back.

Bridesmaid 3. I remember the exact moment that I knew we were going to to be great friends. We were taking a stroll on the beach and she asked me a question that I hadn't heard in a very long time... she asked casually and genuinely.... "So, what do you like to do for fun?" And in the years to follow, we combined our "what do you like to do for fun" list and did them together. Partied in Vegas, relaxed in Puerto Rico, went to happy hours, talked about boys, and jumped up and down hand in hand as we celebrated her engagement. And through the years... when you realize that the party is over and you have to face the difficult parts of life, it's those that stay right there with you that are your friends for life. I'm so lucky to have met this person and one of these days, I'm going to have to give her an unforced and totally NOT akward hug. HUGS!

Bridesmaid 4. Like any other middle child, I had (and still have remnants) of extreme middle child syndrome. I was super sensitive to jokes and I felt slighted when people joked at my expense....and being the jokester that she is, we were a match made in hell from the very start. She constantly made fun of my FOB tendencies pushing every little button in me. But through those tortuous jokes, I learned that it is absolutely ok to laugh at yourself...because after all, I did do some pretty laughable things...like flip over my inside out shirt outside of a church... ::crickets::
As it turns out, behind all the jokes was my best friend who patiently listened and told it to me straight up. A no nonsense - no bs friend. When I was being a brat, she told me so. When I was acting crazy, she told me so. And when life was good, she celebrated with me. What more can you ask for in a friend?

Bridesmaid 5. On occasion, I do read up on my zodiac sign (Cancer). And all the information that I found says that Cancers are ridiculously sensitive...which causes us to act on emotion...ya know, act like one of those crazy girlfriends that leave multiple text message and voicemail? ummmmm anyway! Luckily, I met a very special friend that made me feel normal for once....for she, a fellow Cancer, was just as crazy as I was. To us, it was perfectly ok to plan our weddings before we even got engaged. We dreamed and gushed and talked about our perfect day. We gushed about our significant others to each other only to text an hour later saying that we were through and that our worlds were over. Perhaps it's not so healthy to have someone reaffirm your craziness but in actuality, she has been a person to make me want to be a better person. She taught me how to be honest with myself because not everything can be peachy and great all the time. And of course, she stood by and helped walk me through the difficult stuff.

Bridesmaid 6. Women talk alot so it's pretty rare to find a girlfriend whom you can just sit or watch tv with and not say a word....and it's perfectly ok. No awkwardness. No pressure to talk about something. A person, confident about who she is and unbeknowst to her, taught me to be confident about the person that I am. Because its ok for me to have my own taste. It's ok for me to have an opinion different from others and it's ok to express them. But what I treasure most about her is her ability show me a different perspective - to make me see how lucky I really am when I'm sometimes feeling ungrateful...because after all, I have a friend who despite all the craziness going on in her life will still be thoughtful enough to get my favorite cake on my graduation.

So there you have it. Now guess who!


Disclaimer: this post was induced by a bottle of Summer Nights.

1 comment: